week 23 - english

The business portion is over
The Afghan general sips his tea
He never asks personal questions, but seems willing to answer ours
It's been a long meeting, but social hour is what counts out here

Where were you born?
I am born in Mazir-e-Sharif

Well, his English is still better than our Dari

How long have you been in the army?
I spend thirt-eight years in army

General, if we may, let's work on your use of the past tense
That is fine

We take him through the various forms of TO BE

Would you like to practice Sir?
Yes.  I was born Mazir-e-Sharif

Very nice General.  Go on

I was twelve years when I joined Army

Very impressive General, you are a very fast learner

We were regular fighters

I see

We were with Massoud

Yes, the Lion, correct?

He was a great great man
We were in war for many years
Many our families were died during this time

I'm sorry Sir

And then we KILL 24,000 Soviets

I say he passed

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts